Thursday 11 December 2014

Meals for kids

I am a self proclaimed lazy cook. However I cannot compromise on the nutritive aspect of meals. I shudder to think of chips and chocolates as meals. Home cooked meals, vegetables and fruits are a major component of my sons daily intake. Yes it gets stressful a lot of times. But I have slowly learnt various ways to cheat and yet include all these components in his daily meal ;) Sharing a couple of ways to include vegetables in the meals. These are my personal short cuts.

Dosa:
Yes this simple unsuspecting meal gets fortified with vegetables. This is how...........

  1. To the existing batter add grated raw carrots, and finely chopped spinach, coriander and methi leaves, mix the batter well. [see picture 2 below]
  2. Spread the batter on a hot non stick tawa and cook as usual [see picture 3 below]
  3. Tadda!! a new look colourful dosa is ready for consumption with chutney or curd.


















Picture of the fortified dosa, pic 2 close up of grated carrot and finely chopped spinach. Clicked by yours truly.


Besan Chila:
Oh yes the humble besan chila too isn't spared :). This is how......
  1. Add water to the desired besan. To this mixture add salt, turmeric, finely chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander and spinach. [See picture 1 below] Ensure the consistency is thinner than that of the Dosa.
  2. Spread the batter on the hot non-stick tawa [since the consistency is thin, it gets difficult to make a perfect circle]. Cook on both sides and serve with curd or ketchup.


Picture of the Besan chila. Clicked by yours truly.

In my house the kids and elders love it equally. Do let me know if you like the recipe and are motivated to try it. Also if you have any more twist in the recipe ideas do share. Love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. I can never get my dosa thin enough, but I agree that adding veggies can be easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To get thin dosa try making the batter more watery. With veggies it cant be thin. Thanks for dropping by amanda.

      Delete