Thursday 4 December 2014

My Mehandi designs ...


Mehandi is the traditional art of painting the hands, feet or body with a paste made from the powdered, dried leaves of the henna plant. Coffee, lemon, tea, and essential oils are sometimes added to help get darker colours.  In the ancient times it was applied to cool down the body, usually a large dot was applied to the palms and feet. Slowly I guess someone with an artistic bent of mind tried out various shapes and patterns. As a child I remember mehandi was applied using thin sticks. Now the paste is put in cones and applied.


In different cultures and regions different type of mehandi prevails e.g. traditionally the rajasthani mehandi is different from the gujarati mehandi or the arabic mehandi. I guess with the advent of means of communications the typcial regional designs have given way to more contemporary designs.


Mehandi are applied during wedding ceremonies, baby shower, festivals like karwa chauth, teej, diwali etc...

I am completely mehandi crazy, I need no reason or season to adorn my palms. Unfortunately I can't use my left hand as well I use my right, hence its usually the left palm that gets the design on it.

Below are pictures of designs made by me on my palms. 




I am at a nascent stage of applying mehandi on my feet. As and when I get better with it, I will post those pictures. Do write in to me if you liked my trials with this beautiful ancient art and the original Tatto. Incase you have any mehandi tales do write to me.

3 comments: